SEM Application Process
All students who attend DISD schools are eligible to apply to and attend the SEM free of charge. All students fill out applications and are ranked by several criteria and the top performing students are chosen to be invited to attend the school.
To be placed in the initial selection pool, each student must have a GPA of 80 in the core subjects of English, math, science and social studies and must pass standardized tests.
- Standardized test, such as ITBS, Stanford 9 - with a score of at least 160 points total for math and reading combined. (No score lower than 65th percentile).
Grade 7 - Combined scale score for ELA/Reading and Math must be at least 3488 with no score below Reading/ELA - Raw Score 38 or Scale Score 1685 Math - Raw Score 36 Scale Score - 1668
Grade 8 - Combined scale score for ELA/Reading and Math must be at least 3573 with no score below Reading/ELA - Raw Score 41 or Scale Score 1783 Math - Raw Score 37 Scale Score - 1713
To be placed in the final selection pool, each student must:
- Pass an on-site English essay exam, timed and held under SEM supervision. (40% of total).
- Pass an on-site math exam consisting of problems, timed and held under SEM supervision. (40% of the total).
- Pass an on-site interview which includes a logic/reasoning component. (20% of total).
Shadowing and Application Information:
- October 5 - November 18, 2016. — "Shadowing" available for 8th Grade students to explore SEM. There will be no Shadows scheduled during standardized testing days (PSAT, October 19th To Shadow call 972 925-5960 Monday-Friday 9:15-4:15 . Ms. Martinez will schedule an appointment for your student.See Details...
- November 10, 2016— SEM Admission Preview - 6:30 pm Townview Theater
- December 3, 2016 — 9am - 4pm — 8th Grade - Dallas Discovery Fair, Ellis Davis Field House - 9191 South Polk Street
- December 5, 2016 —Applications available at all Dallas ISD schools, DISD Administration Building and Dallas ISD website. You may apply online now. The list item you will fill out on the online application is to make an appointment to come in person and turn in supplemental documents. Please make an appointment if possible.
- 2017 SEM applications and supplemental documents are being accepted in person:
In SEM Room 211
Mon, Wed, Fri 8am - 4pm
Tue, Thu 9am - 5pm
- December 7, 2015 —6 - 8pm— Townview Magnet Center Open House - SEM Office - Suite 216
- Deadline: January 31, 2017 @ 4:15 p.m. (NOTE: Students who applied online must submit required documents to their first choice school by Wednesday, February 1, 2017 no later than 4:00 pm)
- November 21 - 25, 2016 — Thanksgiving Break
- December 23, 2016 - January 6, 2016 — Winter Break
- March 13 - 17, 2017 — Spring Break
- December 5, 2016 - January 31, 2017 — Applications accepted at SEM and online through the DISD website.
- December 5, 2016 - February 11, 2017 — 1st choice assessments given.
- January 31, 2017 — Final date to submit applications at SEM and online through the DISD website.
- February 28, 2017 — 1st Choice notification letters mailed
- March 16 - 28, 2016 — 2nd Choice assessments given.
- April 07, 2017 — 2nd Choice notification letters mailed
Testing Registration: for out-of-district or private school applicants
- Jan. 27, 2017 — Registration deadline for Feb. 4, 2017 Magnet School Testing
- Feb 04, 2017 — Magnet School Testing on Townview Campus
- Feb 10, 2017 — Registration deadline for Feb. 18, 2017 Magnet School Testing
- Feb 18, 2017 — Magnet School Testing on Townview Campus
Download DISD time line here.