Application Process | Timeline
All students who attend DISD schools are eligible to apply to and attend the SEM free of charge. All students fill out applications and are ranked by several criteria and the top performing students are chosen to be invited to attend the school.
- Applications will be available starting December 1, 2017 and are available at all Dallas ISD schools, Administration Building and Dallas ISD website (www.dallasisd.org)
- December 4 - January 31 = Completed applications with supplemental documents will be accepted in person at SEM:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 8-4pm
Wednesdays from 10-6:30pm and
Saturday, December 16 and Saturday, January 20 from 9am-noon.
- Deadline: January 31, 2018 @ 4:15 p.m. (NOTE: Students who applied online must submit required documents to their first choice school by Thursday, February 1, 2017 no later than 4:00 pm)
Information Meeting, Open House and DISD Fairs:
- SEM Admissions Preview information meeting is Thursday, November 9, in the Townview Auditorium at 6:30pm. Please come early and "pack in" - we will have a full house.
- Townview Open House is Wednesday, December 6, 2017 from 6-8pm.
- Discover Dallas ISD Choice Fair- December 2, 2017, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Southeast Location: Ellis Davis Field House - 9191 South Polk Street, Dallas, TX 75232
Southwest Location: Skyline High School - 7777 Forney Road, Dallas, TX 75227
- Discover Dallas ISD Choice Fair - December 9, 2017, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m
Northeast Location: E. J. Conrad High School - 7502 Fair Oaks Ave., Dallas, TX 75231
Northwest Location: Loos Field House - 3815 Spring Valley Rd., Dallas, TX 75001
- November 27 - December 1, 2017 — Thanksgiving Break
- December 22, 2017 - January 5, 2018 — Winter Break
- March 12 - 16, 2018 — Spring Break
2017-18 Application Schedule:
- December 4, 2017 - January 31, 2018 — Applications accepted at SEM and online through the DISD website www.dallasisd.org.
- December 4, 2017 - February 10, 2018 — 1st choice assessments given.
- January 31, 2018 — Final date to submit applications at SEM and online through the DISD website www.dallasisd.org.
- March 01, 2018 — 1st Choice notification letters mailed
- March 08-10 & 19-30, 2018 — 2nd Choice assessments given.
- April 06, 2018 — 2nd Choice notification letters mailed
2017-18 Testing Registration: for out-of-district or private school applicants
- Jan. 26, 2018 — Registration deadline for Feb. 03, 2018 Magnet School Testing
- Feb 03, 2018 — Magnet School Testing on Townview Campus
- Feb 09, 2018 — Registration deadline for Feb. 17, 2018 Magnet School Testing
- Feb 17, 2018 — Magnet School Testing on Townview Campus
To be placed in the initial selection pool, each student must have a GPA of 80 in the core subjects of English, math, science and social studies and must pass standardized tests.
Grade 7 - Combined scale score for ELA/Reading and Math must be at least 3501 with no score below:
Reading/ELA - 1674
Math - 1688
Grade 8 - Combined scale score for ELA/Reading and Math must be at least 3511 with no score below:
Reading/ELA - 1709
Math - 1700
- If you have not taken the STAAR test because you attended a school where it was not given.... Standardized test, such as ITBS, or Stanford 9 - with a score of at least 160 points total for math and reading combined (No score lower than 65th percentile) will be accepted.
To be placed in the final selection pool, each student must:
- Pass an on-site English essay exam, timed and held under SEM supervision. (40% of total).
- Pass an on-site math exam consisting of problems, timed and held under SEM supervision. (40% of the total).
- Pass an on-site interview which includes a logic/reasoning component. (20% of total).
Download 2016-17 DISD time line here, and the DISD application requirements document here (both in English/Spanish)